Issues that should be followed up with once your divorce is finalized….giving these due diligence now will prevent problems in the future…..
IF REAL PROPERTY WAS PART OF YOUR SETTLEMENT….
- Be sure the deed transferring it to you is actually recorded
- Be sure to change the homeowners insurance to reflect you as the new owner
- If there is a mortgage on the property, be sure its now in the name of the new owner…if you no longer own the property, you certainly do not want to the mortgage liability on your credit.
DO YOU HAVE DESIGNATED BENEFICIARIES…
- Is your ex-spouse a beneficiary on your life insurance..
- Don’t forget to check your IRA’s and other annuities and make necessary changes to the beneficiaries
DO YOU HAVE ESTATE PLANNING DOCUMENTS….
- Be sure to re-draft your will, power of attorney, healthcare agent, and any other documents done prior to the divorce, as they are now void